Each year Serve Kentucky grants and administers around $6.5 million of AmeriCorps State funding in Kentucky through a competitive grant process. Programs may be awarded funding at the national level (through competitive funding) or state level (through formula funding).
Serve Kentucky posts its Requests for Proposals (RFP) for AmeriCorps State on this webpage, typically in the fall and again in the spring. Kentucky's application materials are based on the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) AmeriCorps State and National notices of funding opportunity and application instructions, but organizations that wish to operate an AmeriCorps program solely within Kentucky must follow the Serve Kentucky application process.
AmeriCorps grants are awarded to eligible organizations proposing to engage AmeriCorps members in evidence-based or evidence-informed interventions/practices to strengthen communities. An AmeriCorps member is an individual who engages in community service through an approved national service position. Members may receive a living allowance and other benefits while serving. Upon successful completion of their service, members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award from the National Service Trust that members can use to pay for higher education expenses or apply to qualified student loans.
Learn more about the Kentucky AmeriCorps Grant Process and/or send an email to join the grant information distribution list.
Requirements of AmeriCorps State Grantees
- Applicants must be an eligible host agency (nonprofit, government agency, etc.).
- New or entry-level grant proposals are encouraged to request the equivalent of 8 full-time members to be cost-effective.
- Programs must address a demonstrated community need. Federal and/or state-level priority areas are established each year in the Request for Proposals.
- Applicants must propose program designs that are either evidence-based or evidence-informed.
- Applicants are required to demonstrate community support and the ability to provide cash and/or in-kind match for a percentage of the grant funds.
- Programs must have a plan to engage community volunteers.
Current Grant Opportunities: 2020-21 AmeriCorps Grants
Please note that CNCS documents and eGrants lists the due date as January 8, 2020. This was the national due date for competitive applications. Formula applications must be submitted to Serve Kentucky by April 1, 2020.
Serve Kentucky Formula Request for Proposals Timeline
- March 2, 2020: Intent to Apply due to Serve Kentucky via online survey
- April 1, 2020: Grant applications due to Serve Kentucky via eGrants
- Formula Fixed/EAP eGrants Application ID: 20ES221690
- Formula Cost Reimbursement eGrants Application ID: 20AC221691
- April 1, 2020: Additional documents due to Serve Kentucky via email
- April 28, 2020: Grant review feedback provided, applications returned via eGrants for revisions
- May 18, 2020: Notification of Commission decision to submit applications to CNCS
- May 22, 2020: Revised formula grant applications due to Serve Kentucky via eGrants
- May 15-25, 2020: Serve Kentucky Resolution/Clarification period
- May 26-29, 2020: Kentucky formula applications submitted to CNCS via eGrants
Documents and Resources